Preventative Dentistry » Childrens Oral Health Advice
Many children in the UK have tooth decay. Although they are born without dental disease, by teenage years many can already suffer from cavities and gum disease. This can be caused by a range of factors, including a diet that's too high in sugar and not following a good tooth cleaning regime at home. If you establish good dental health habits and regular visits to the dentist from an early age, your children are more likely to keep up these habits as they grow up, meaning healthy teeth for life.
At 61 Dental, we're passionate about establishing a good dental health routine from an early age. That's why, as part of our Dental Care Plan, if your children are under the age of 16 they receive all their dental treatment for free.
Fear of the dentist often starts in childhood, which is why we encourage parents to bring their children along from an early age. That way they learn that a trip to the dentist is nothing to be afraid of; toddlers can get used to sitting in the dentist's chair and opening their mouth for the dentist to look at their teeth. Early detection will help avoid any painful tooth problems and reduce the need for more invasive treatments, while any treatment that is needed will be carried out in a relaxed, stress-free way.
We recommend that children regularly visit us from the age of 4 or 5. We believe healthy teeth for life is a realistic expectation for all children, with a combination of regular dental check-ups, good home care and a healthy, low-sugar diet.
Children's dental tips
- Get your child used to visiting the dentist from an early age
- Brush your child's teeth with fluoride toothpaste as soon as the first tooth appears
- Use a smear of toothpaste for babies and toddlers and a pea-sized amount for children under 6
- Make sure your child brushes their teeth for 2 minutes twice a day
- Ask your child to demonstrate how the dentist showed them to brush their teeth, to ensure good brushing habits
- Avoid sugary drinks and sweets, and dilute fruit juice with water